7.29.2012

Empties: Holiday Empties #1


I am excited to do my first empties post! In the beginning of July I decided to start doing these first and foremost as I simply love reading them myself, and also as a way to encourage me to use up some of the stuff I've got lying around. This is not my first "real" empties post, but rather a little trial teaser to feature the stuff I used up whilst on holiday, hence all the samples. As I do travel a bit, though don't plan on doing it for a while now, I have decided to have a separate empties series called Holiday Empties. I will have a separate July Empties post at the end of the month/beginning of August.


First my thoughts on some samples I acquired whilst on spending sprees in France;

Kenzo Madly Kenzo Perfume Sachet Sample
I fell in love with this instantly to the point of almost running out to purchase. My boyfriend actually didn't like it as much as me, so I am a bit glad I didn't rush out whilst still in my towel. I still really do like it and it's definitely on my sniff list until I can make a definite decision. Something about having a perfume by Kenzo intrigues me, mostly because it's something not everyone I know has.

Givenchy Dahlia Noir Perfume Towelette Sample
Not really sure if their called "towelette samples" but you all know what I mean. The ones with the white thing inside the little "pocket" soaked in the perfume that you use only one time. Dahlia Noir didn't really tickle my fancy too much. Definitely smells quite good, but didn't find it too interesting. I'm thinking this is the kind of perfume you start liking over time and had it been of the more generous spray sample kind I might have taken a fancy to it. Oh well.

NOVExpert Contour Des Yeux Anti-Cernes Expert
Silly me thought this was an eye cream and was quite surprised when I saw a very darkly tinted concealer looking substance squirt out of the little sachet. I thought I'd still give it a go and so applied it and made a face upon viewing the results. Giving it a chance to sink in it still looked absolutely terrible, felt sticky and uncomfortable on and didn't do much of anything for my eye area. On to the cotton pad went my Bioderma and off it went. I had a second sample of this that I obviously threw out without trying.


Kenzo Flower Tag Perfume Sachet Sample
This didn't strike me as much as Madly Kenzo which only re-sparked my interest in that one further, thinking I really was onto something there! However, Flower Tag does smell nice, but it's just not my kind of scent. "I'd keep it if I got it for christmas" kind of a thing.

Now for samples I took with me from home, some I've paid for as part of travel sets and some I've gotten for free with purchases;

Dior Gentle Toning Lotion
This lasted me quite a few days. It is quite gentle, but it doesn't soothe my skin anywhere near as good as my Origins Mega-Mushroom Treatment Lotion. It doesn't irritate my skin at all, keeps my skin clear and cleansed and I have no complaints, though I didn't fall for it and as I have a similar product I already love way more I won't be looking to purchase the full-size. There is also no alcohol scent to this which I really, really appreciate. More on that in my upcoming Lancome Tonique Eclat review!

Elemis FreshSkin Deep Clean Purifying Face Mask
I purchased the whole Elemis FreshSkin introductory kit to use for travel and have overall been quite impressed with it. I will do a full review on the kit soon. I have two more sachet's of this to use so I'm going to hold off on making too much of a judgement until I've at least gone through those, but so far I think it's just alright.

Shiseido White Lucency Brightening Eye Treatment
I've used this on my travels for quite a while and went through the first one and a bit of the second tube whilst in France this time, yet left it there at the end half full. Whilst I've been very impressed with this eye treatment in the past, this time I felt it didn't really do much. I have two more samples of this that I will use up and then I will write a full review.


CHANEL Coco Mademoiselle Perfume Spray Sample
LOVE this! One of my absolute favorite perfumes! It's fresh, sweet, but still a little bit sexy. In my opinion it's suitable for day time, school, work, dinner, formal dinners, going out.. Pretty much any occasion. If you haven't smelled this yet go have a spray of this next time your near a Chanel counter and walk around with it for a little bit, I almost guarantee you'll fall in love with it!

Elemis FreshSkin Softly Softly Daily Moisturiser
As I mentioned in reference to the face mask I will do a full review on these FreshSkin products so I will keep it simple here; I do quite like this, it's a fine moisturiser, but I don't love it.

Sanctuary Body Butter
I LOVE THIS STUFF! In fact I love pretty much all of the Sanctuary products I've tried. When my Soap&Glory stint is over and I've tested and reviewed most or all of their shower and body products, Sanctuary will definitely be on the top of my list of brands to "go through". Sinks in fast and moisturises really well with no residue. It also spreads really easily over the skin and smells lovely.


Dermalogica Super Sensitive Face Block SPF 30
Quite like this stuff, though I like what I already have more so won't be purchasing the full sized version any time soon. Definitely something I'll keep at the back of my mind should I ever be keen to try something new though. It's light, sinks in well and did not leave a white cast on my face.

Dior DiorShow Extase in Black - click here for review -
I've already reviewed this on the blog, but I'll say it again; LOVE this mascara!

Schwarzkopf BC Miracle Oil Light
This sample has been very nice and has gone on all of my recent travels. I don't feel this actually does anything for my hair in terms of strenghtening it or giving it moisture, especially not compared to Moroccanoil. However, I like it for making my ends look healthier and happier and whilst I won't be purchasing this oil it was a nice enough sample to try and I'm sad it's all gone.

Elemis FreshSkin Dreamy Sleep Nighttime Moisturiser
Quite liked this. A very light night cream that sinks in quickly, doesn't make my skin greasy or break out and the smell is quite nice, clean and fresh. No complaints, but I don't love it and I won't be purchasing.
  

Forgot to add these in the first picture(s);

Elemis Vitamin-Rich Body Lotion
This was a great sample. The lotion spreads easily, absorbs quickly and keeps my skin well moisturised and really comfortable throughout the whole day. Would definitely love to try the full size of this.

Chanel Body Excellence Intense Hydrating Milk
This was all kinds of alright, but nothing impressive. Didn't do too much really in terms of moisture, though was nice enough. An OK product that I am not going to be purchasing.

Estee Lauder Double Wear Light in Intensity 2.0 - click here for review
This has completely blown me away and gone straight to my Top 5 Foundations list. I've already written a review on the blog that you can read to get my full opinion. I went straight to the Estee Lauder counter to buy the full sized version in the Duty Free shop on the way back, but they were sold out! Thank god I have another sample to use for a bit longer until my friend said she would pick one up for me on the way back from Italy.

Two more items I didn't decide to chuck away until last minute so not pictured;

Elemis FreshSkin Peachy Perfect Gentle Face Wash
Another product from the FreshSkin line, was not too impressed with this, but it was ok. This was one of those cleansers that borderlined on being too gentle and thus felt like it didn't really do much of anything at all.

La Roche-Posay Posthelios After Sun Melt In Gel
Bought a duo containing a full size of this and an Anthelios SPF 50 Spray for the bargain price of 15 euros! I've never been one to use much after sun as I've felt a normal body lotion was enough, but this has converted me. The texture is a white gel/cream hybrid that spreads really easily over the skin and sinks in rather quickly. It hydrates perfectly and had a really nice calming effect on the skin. I completely fell in love with this product and is really keen to start using it as a body lotion every time I have an evening shower.. It's SO relaxing. Amazing.

Chanel Soleil Tan De Chanel Bronzing Makeup Base
I made myself a little pot of this to finally try and see what this stuff was all about. I instantly fell in love with it and have used my little creatively crafted sample almost non-stop since. I picked up the full size at the airport on the way back and now I've totally spoilt it for the upcoming haul.

Below a little demonstration on how to make a sample of a cream product;

1. First take two empty sample pots. The lid on the second one should be slightly smaller than the first and fit quite nicely inside. My suggestions; A Body Shop sample pot and a Sephora sample pot cap.


2. Use a spatula and carefully take the product out of the full sized version and place it into the Sephora cap. When you have the desired amount, carefully grind it together so it makes a nice paste similar to how it is originally.


3. Place the Sephora cap inside the Body Shop pot. You can super glue it to the bottom if you want to be really serious about it, but why bother the risk of gluing your eyes shut. You never know.


4. Twist the lid back onto the pot and VOILA!


How impressive's that? Ha (Kidding).


Total products finished;
SAMPLES: 17
FULL SIZE: 1
JUMBO: 0

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Thats creative. I never would've thought to make a post like this. I enjoyed it. I look forward to seeing more :)

    I invite you to check out my blog.
    -loyaltofashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very happy you enjoyed it Natalie :) Can't take all the credit as Empties posts are already quite popular, but I thought it'd be fun to see empties from holidays too, especially as I wasn't gonna bring back the empty bottles and sachets in my suitcase! x

      Delete
  2. Love your blog, so I'm a new follower =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig