9.08.2013

Empties: August 2013


I always think that next month I'm not going to have that many empties, but somehow these posts keep being surprisingly long and full of products. I'm not using as many samples as before so it has shrunk a little, but still. Unfortunately - and somewhat eye opening - finished makeup products rarely, if ever, make an appearance in these posts. And that's even with me trying my hardest for the last 6 months to finish up a few products! But I digress - here are the products I did finish this month!


Fushi Organic Rosehip Oil 100ml
First off I'll start with a new favourite! This is the first bottle I tried and my first ever product from Fushi. This has gone straight to possible holy grail - it's still the early stages. But I have already re-purchased + backup - that's should say a lot! I will be posting a review shortly. Only reason I haven't is because the lid on this one broke and I wanted to wait until I had the new bottle as an intact lid make for much better photography!

Biotherm Deo Pure 75ml
Love this deodorant. It's been my "default" deodorant for years. It's gentle, but efficient. It does have a smell, but it's faint and it's one of those clean scents that rarely offends any noses. Best of all; it lasts for absolute ages making it a bargain even compared to drugstore.

John Frienda Root Awakening 200ml
This is one of this months "product cleanout empties". I bought this almost two years ago in Boots when I had managed to forget a leave-in conditioner in my New Years Eve overnight bag. Being almost exclusively loyal to expensive hair products since in my early teens I was surprised to find this to actually be really good! It has a minty smell that I don't particularly care for personally, but besides that it gives hair shine, makes it smooth and doesn't weigh it down in the slightest. It's way past it's expiry date and that is why it's going in the bin. I have no plans to re-purchase as I still prefer my Kerastase Leave-In's, but should I ever find myself stranded without a leave-in again I know that a trip to Boots will save the day.


Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye 15ml - click here for review -
For my skincare part of the post I must say I have some pretty sad goodbyes this month. First out is this little beauty from Estée Lauder. I recently raved about it in a different post so I won't go too much into it, but I will say that I have re-purchased and probably will after that yet again. No complaints on this one, none at all. A perfect product, in other words. Love the pump, it lasts a long time - little goes a long way, it performs amazingly and there's nothing else like it on the market (to my knowledge). If that doesn't convince you, nothing will!

Omorovicza - Thermal Cleansing Balm 50ml - click here for review -
This is another sad goodbye. I was originally using this only for my evening cleanse, but after I managed to drop the lid and had it smash against the bathroom floor I not only hated myself every time I looked at it, but also decided to use it morning and evening in fear it would dry out before I got to finish it all. It's really annoying, to say the least, that the only products I drop and smash are my seriously expensive ones. The only two products I have done this with was this cleansing balm and my La Prairie eye cream that I had to throw out halfway full.. Typical.

La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo 40ml
This one needs no introduction. A star in the beauty world for about a year or so this wonder product really does help unclog pores and keep them that way. That being said, this is not I recommend using every day, at least not according to my personal experience with it. I find it works best when used as needed and then put away when the worst has passed.

Bioderma Sebium Mat Anti-Shine Fluid 40ml
I bought this last year but never got around to using it as my skin turned to being quite de-hydrated and that's obviously not the skin type this product would work for. My skin was pretty normal during the summer months this year and so I decided to pull this back out to finish it before it expired. It's a decent moisturiser - does keep skin matte, but like I said my skin is pretty normal so I'm not the best guinea pig. I do think this would work quite well for oilier skins though. It's nice especially because while it's mattifying I didin't find it dried my skin out. It also kept skin clear and didn't irritate at all. All in all a decent product, but not one I will re-purchase as I typically need something a bit richer.


Shiseido The Skincare Extra Gentle Cleansing Foam 30ml
Following the end of my even bigger deluxe sample of this from last month I kept the trend going with 30ml more. I really like this one. It's a foaming cleanser, but barely. It's very creamy and extremely gentle. Once I've used up the oversized backstock of cleansers I have this is one I would consider buying for use in the mornings for a quicker cleanse than my evening balm - this is also how I've used this now.

Shiseido Benefiance WrinkleResist24 Balancing Softener Enriched 75ml
This stuff is pretty amazing! It's also extremely expensive and I don't think you need to pay this much to get yourself a pretty good toner, but still.. If you have dry, dehydrated or sensitive skin - or a bit of this and that - I think you'll love this. If you are quite a few years older than me and have really dry skin then I really recommend trying this. It's so incredibly comfortable on the skin, leaves it smooth and hydrated and the smell is simply wonderful. Lasted me a really long time too!

Kanebo Sensai Cellular Performance Eye Contour Cream 2ml
Speaking of lasting me a really long time - this tiny 2 ml sample lasted me since the beginning of summer until just last week! A tiny bit of this goes a really long way as it's so incredibly concentrated. The consistency reminds me a lot of the La Prairie Cellular Eye Contour Cream which also lasted me an incredibly long time. The Cellular Performance Eye Contour Cream by Sensai also provides a ton fo moisture and I really felt my eye area looked more healthy when using it. This stuff is pricey but if just 2 ml lasts over for this long it actually works out to not that expensive at all.

Shiseido Urban Environment UV Protection Cream Plus SPF 50 15ml
I got quite a few of this generously sized SPF sample over the summer that I think might last me well into winter. It's not my favourtie SPF of all time, that is Eucerin's Mattifying one, but it's really good still plus it's free. It leaves a tiny bit of white-cast on application, but that goes away. It's not greasy, I haven't found it to block pores or irritate my skin. I also haven't burned or tanned whilst wearing this.


Yves Saint Laurent "YSL" Top Secrets Re-Plumping Concentrate Lip & Contour Shaper
This stuff is really nice. I've used it for quite a few years now and while it's not the most moisturising it does really plump up the lips. I've used it to prime my lips before lipstick, applying it at the same time as my primer allowing it to sink in and "do it's job" by the time it's time for lip products. I'm keen to try other things next and am currently really focusing on using stuff up - lip balms being one of the categories, so I won't re-purchase but I see myself doing so in the future as it's a product I've really enjoyed using.

Cliniderm Summer Lipgloss SPF 15
I've had this for quite a few years now and while I wanted to try and finish it up I felt uneasy using it due to the expiry date and so have decided to throw it out. Cliniderm isn't a brand widely available outside Scandinavia, I believe, but they have fairly decent products that are unfortunately usually laughably overpriced. I won't buy this again, but it's a nice enough product. Not worth the 200 NOK (about 20 GBP) I paid for it though. Far from.

Institut Esthederm Nutri-Protective Stick
This is a fairly expensive nutritious "stick" to be used on sensitive areas such as the eyes and lips, per the saleslady that sold it to be in Nice last year. It's a really nourishing balm that is quite thick and does help sooth and heal any soreness or redness. Unfortunately the lid broke and while I still have tried to use it it's gotten dust on it and so off it goes. Not something I'll be buying again, it was ok, but nothing special at all.


Chanel Hydra Beauty Creme
If I was in the market for a new day moisturiser this would be a contender, alongside Dior's Hydra Life which is a cream I find pretty similar. Hydra Beauty from Chanel smells incredible - really fresh and citrusy - it makes a brilliant start to the day! It also hydrates really well leaving skin comfortable but not at all greasy.

Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair 7ml - click here for review -
Yep, another one.. I don't think there's been even one empties post where this little 7ml super sample hasn't been featured. I might be wrong, but it sure doesn't feel like it. So for the monthly update: I still like this, but honestly am getting a wee bit sick of it! After finishing my full sized 100ml bottle and all my remaining samples I think I'll at least take a bit of a break.

Clarins Water Comfort One-Step Cleanser 10ml
I use this in place of my Bioderma when travelling or staying over at my parent's house. It's nice, but it's not as gentle as the Bioderma and I find I can't use it on my eyes. For this reason I still prefer the Bioderma, but this is a really nice product still. If Bioderma wasn't available, I'd consider this one.

Guerlain Secret De Pureté Crystal Lotus Flower Biphase Eye & Lip Make-up Remover
This is quite heavy duty and is pretty efficient. It's also really oily which makes it easy to get in your eyes which hurts! Not something I will be buying the full size of, but it's decent and I enjoy my little travel size samples for when I'm away!


Shiseido Facial Cotton 165 Sheets
This is the best cotton you can get. Wether or not you want to spend this much on cotton is up to you, but for me it's worth it no doubt. It's so gentle on the skin and it doesn't absorb too much product making toners and makeup removers last longer and more efficient. Instant holy grail. Can't be without this now.

Living Proof Satin Hair Serum 5ml
I got this sample at Sephora in New York this summer and I am so annoyed I didn't realise just how much I love it until I got back! This is not to be confused with a hair oil and it won't help repair your hair, at least not significantly. What it will do though is smooth the ends of your hair without weighing it down or making your strands look greasy. All this plus it smells absolutely incredible! Gutted I can't get a hold of it over here, but fingers crossed I can soon!


Estèe Lauder Double Wear Light Intensity 2.0 - click here for review -
I forgot all about this sample and now it's really old so off it goes. It's a wonderful wonderful foundation and I really need to get around to buying the full size. I've ment to a few times when travelling but airports seem to never have my colour in stock. Hopefully next time!

Guerlain Terracotta Bronzing Powder in 03 10g/.35 OZ
I've had this for a long time and it's gone and "hardened" on me. I've still tried to use it to finish what little I had left, but I ended up looking streaky and horrible and so I finally decided enough was enough. There simply has to be a point where you don't force yourself to look bad just to finish something, especially not when you have a few other perfectly amazing bronzers waiting in your drawers to be used!

Guerlain Meteorites Perles
I used this nice sample mostly in New York this summer and finished the rest of this past month. I have to say I've been very impressed. If it wasn't for my massive stock of primers I'm currently trying to go through I would've bought the full size of this no question. It keeps makeup looking perfect for hours and hours through dead heat and subway travelling. It also smooths out pores and fine lines and while it's mattifying it's not drying and leaves skin looking velvety and radiant still.


Estee Lauder Sumptous Extreme in 01 Extreme Black 8ml
I think this is one of my favourite mascaras of all time. It lenghtens, seperates and adds a ton of volume without any clumps and whilst still looking natural. It also stays put all day, yet is fairly easy to remove at the end of the day.

Dior Diorshow Extase in 090 Black Extase 4ml - click here for review -
Another favourite. This one is very natural and perfect for daytime or a more natural evening look. It still gives decent volume, seperates lashes, adds length and best of all - has a built in nutrition serum. I always notice my lashes get a bit longer when using this for a few weeks.

Yves Saint Laurent "YSL" Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils Babydoll 2ml
I received this sample at Bergdorf Goodman and loved it from first try. It's a wetter formula and has a plastic wand which I have to admit I don't typically like, but this one I can't deny is a really good one. It seperates, gives length and volume. It's not the easiest to get off, but I've had way worse. It's also really black!


Libero Shampoo 200ml
This is what I've been using to clean my makeup brushes and I quite like it. I'm using a different one right now, but still a baby shampoo. I don't really have a brand preference, any baby shampoo works well in my opinion. I think I want to try the Dr. Bronners one after I finish my current one though!

Veet Hair Removal Cream Shea Butter & Lily Fragrance Dry Skin 200ml
I won't go into too much detail on hair removal, but I will say that I really like this one. It's gentle but still efficient and I much prefer this method to shaving - no cuts and scars on these legs! The only downsize is it can get a tad more expensive than shaving, but nothing too bad.


Etré Cuticle Oil 30ml
This little 30ml bottle lasted me absolutely ages. It finally exploded on me which I actually didn't mind as I was so sick of it. Not that there's anything wrong with it. It's a fine oil and made pushing the cuticles back a fairly easy task. A nice product.

The Body Shop Almond Hand & Nail Cream 30ml
Of all the Body Shop hand creams I think this one is my favourite. Both in terms of "finish" and scent. It's quite moisturising and doesn't leave too much residue and absorbs fairly quick. It's not really heavy enough to use before sleeping (for my needs) and it doesn't have SPF so it's not the perfect hand cream for daytime use either. Won't re-purchase, but did like it ok.

Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat 14ml
This one certainly needs no explanation. Love this as much as the next gal. Only downsize is it seems to thicken up before you can get to the last bit. Still, I keep re-purchasing as I can't be without it. This product completely changed my attitude on doing my nails. Taking it from a longest drawn out process where waiting for it to dry bordered on painful, to something that can be done in 20 minutes - tops!


Cartier Eau de Cartier Essence De Bois 1,5ml
I really liked this. It's a very elegant and simple scent perfect for day use and quite feminine.

Carven Le Parfum 1,5ml
This one I LOVED! It's a warm floral and fresh scent that is flirty, yet elegant and quite young and modern at the same time. I also love the bottle - simple yet sophisticated. If I could get a hold of this anywhere I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Dior Miss Dior Le Parfum x3
Love this scent! If I didn't have too many perfumes I'd consider buying the full size. The only downsize is that everyone and their mother have it as well and I'm more into the more niche perfumes at the moment. Still - this is just wonderful. It's sweet, girly, young and fun but still has a bit of spice in it to make it interesting and elegant.

AUGUST TOTAL:
Normal: 17
Deluxe Sample: 3
Sample: 16
Jumbo: 0

2013 TOTAL
Normal: 134
Deluxe Sample: 51
Sample: 86
Jumbo: 6


SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Lovely post. I really enjoy empties posts.

    Karen x
    http://silvermachine78.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you've set out your empties post - it's fab! I reaaaaaally need to start using up some of my products, I have so many to get through, I never seem to finish anything! I love love love love Seche Vite - it's amazing! xx

    Gem │ ♥ │ Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's amazing how much you can use up in a short amount of time once you 'round up all your half full products and really put your mind to it.. Best part -I have so much more space now! he he! :) x

      Delete
  3. I love to see what people love and dislike in a month, great post. Where do you get all your sample products from?

    www.becka-thisismyworld.blogspot.com
    Becka! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love empties posts and videos too! I get my samples when I buy products, and I've bought a lot over the years so I have a few counters that "know" me know and are usually quite generous! He he not sure if it's good or bad cause I usually end up wanting to buy so much more - that's the point of samples though I guess he he! :) x

      Delete
  4. Really a great post! Love all the product descriptions and really want to get my hands on the La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo. Unfortunately it's a different formula here in the US. Also, wanted to let you know that your recent blog posts on the Chanel Fall Collection has me going to the mall for some unnecessary spending tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he you won't be sorry! I've been so happy with my purchases - been using them everyday since getting them! Hope you enjoy them as much as me! :) That's bad LRP changed the formula as the Effaclar Duo you get over here is pretty amazing - buy it next time you head over to Europe perhaps :) xx Let me know how you like the Chanel products! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig