8.09.2014

Products I Want To Use Up: Update #2



This post is so so overdue. I meant to update you on my progress ages ago, but each time I was so close to finishing another product I wanted to wait, and then that happened again and again. Finally I decided it was time for an update, mostly as I've finished almost everything, but then none of my pictures would turn out the way I liked - I've realised since I think my camera had a bit of a heatstroke with the heat we've been having here. I've also realised it's hard to make a whole lot of empty and well-used products look very beautiful, so we will all have to just look past that, and focus on the true objective of these posts; to finish up products!

I finished my Shu Uemura Stage Performer ( review ) ages ago. This gives a beautiful glow to the skin, and has a slight tint that gives a bit of colour. I enjoyed this primer, but it was getting old so I'm glad I finished it up in time.

My Kate Somerville Serum Sunscreen ( review ) I only bought last summer and it was initially an instant favourite. It was absolutely fantastic. By Christmas it wasn't performing as well as it did previously and that's why I included it in this project. By the end it started irritating my skin, even if it wasn't even a year old. I only connected the dots back to this as the culprit when I had finished the bottle anyway, so I still used the whole tube up which is still nice I guess. No money wasted there!

I finished my bottle of YSL's Le Teint Touche Eclat in spring. I inititally mixed this with the Make Up For Ever HD Foundation and they worked together brilliantly. I absolutely love the finish of the Le Teint Touche Eclat foundation. It gives the most gorgeous glow and radiance, but I have a problem getting it to stay that way for long unless I mix it with other foundations. I might actually re-purchase this in winter just to mix in with other foundations, it's really nice. 

I can't stand Make Up For Ever's Mat Velvet. When used every day it dries my skin out and causes me to break out. So naturally I didn't use it like that. I never used this on it's own, I always mixed it in with other foundations as well, and it seemed like it would make a really good fit with the Touche Eclat. The mix of the two worked fine, but I don't like the thickness of the Mat Velvet and the finish wasn't as natural as I like as that was still there. Super happy to have finished this, will never ever buy again.

The last product I finished was my Peachykeen Blush by Mac. It took me for ever to finish and it was already showing major pan. I love Peachykeen, but by the end of this I was so sick of it and the last 3 weeks until it was gone was dreadful. I am thrilled to have finished a blush, and to have finished this one especially as it was the oldest one in my collection.

The YSL Natural Finish Loose Powder was the mysterious powder it was impossible to know how much was left of. Finally though, I hit pan and finished the thing! Finishing loose powders is the best as they always come in huge packaging and so it frees up a lot of space.

Make Up For Ever's Lift Concealer does absolutely nothing and is gone within two hours so finishing that was an absolute treat and something I will also never buy again.

The Mac Studio Finish Concealer is really good actually. It has a drier consistency which makes it not ideal for under the eyes, but perfect on blemishes, scars, pigmentation etc. It has good lasting power and an SPF of 35 which is fantastic for helping everything heal and not leave a scar. 

I finally finished my YSL Golden Gloss. It's a very nice gloss so it wasn't too bad finishing it up. It's basically an almost clear brownish with gold glitter that worked over most lipsticks so I could still wear different looks. I'm very happy I finished it though as it was my oldest gloss.

I wanted to finish my oldest lipstick as well - the Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstick in 630 Velvet Beige, but when I realised one day just how old it is I didn't want to put it on my lips. In the end it's a drugstore lipstick, that I've used most of cause I used to love it, but don't anymore. Add to that that I've got Tom Ford, Chanel, Sensai etc. lipsticks in my collection that I adore and I concluded I'd rather let this one go and use those instead. This had a good run, but I just don't enjoy using it anymore.

The last product that is out is another one i didn't finish. The Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Pearl ( review ) is a product I used to absolutely love. It's a beautiful liquid highlighter, no doubt about that, but it's simply gotten too old. I noticed when I wore this my skin would start itching, and that I'm not going to suffer through for months so into the empties bin it went.

Now for the last three products which are still going strong. My Mac Painterly Paint Pot I'm using every day. I've hit major pan, but I only need very little so it will probably last a while longer. The only reason I've included this is because it's getting old. I absolutely love using it. The consistency is still good. It's a bit dried than it was originally, but it works just as well. I will use it until it's finished or too dry to use anymore.

Finally I have my two Mac shadows. I've been neglecting my Mac Omega as I don't use it for brows anymore, but I have found another use for it. It's perfect to use as a really natural crease colour, or through the crease when you really don't know what to put. It works with pretty much anything. It's also quite a good contour shade so I might finish it like that. I've kind of come to depend on it a bit though, so I'm kind of regretting putting it into this project as I might re-purchase it in the end, but I guess finishing a product is still good either way!

Finally I have my Mac eyeshadow in Romp. I go through phases using this and not, but right now I've been using it quite a bit. I'm not doing a project pan so I'm not forcing myself to use these items everyday, but I try to use them when I'm not feeling very "inspired" or I don't have anything in particular I want to use. I especially use Romp that way. Whenever I just want any brown shade, I use this, and I'm slowly making some progress. This is one of my oldest eyeshadows, so it would be really exciting if I was able to finish it by the end of the year.

So above you have the three products still remaining, and below are the products that I am adding. I am adding only 7 for a total of 10 products. I've realised that 14 products are a bit much to keep track of and it also makes the posts very long to make. With so many products I keep forgetting what I'm trying to use up, so I've decided to narrow it down to 10 as it's just more manageable.

So here, below, are all of the products I am currently trying to work on. In addition to the five products in my 'Finish 5 By Fall' tag. I think it's a nice selection of different products, and all products that go with most things.

What I have here is a tinted moisturiser, eyeshadow base, two powders and a blush for base products. Ive got four eyeshadows - one highlight, one all over, and two crease colours. Finally there is just one lipstick.

I adore my Stila Kitten eyeshadow, but it has smashed and is an absolute mess to keep around so therefore I'm including it here. I haven't got too much left so I feel fairly confident that this will be gone by the end of the year.

I'm also including my Chanel Single Eyeshadow in Lotus that I use as my inner corner and brow bone highlight. Theres a good dip in the middle and I think I'm about to hit pan, but there's a lot of product here still. I might try using this as a face highlight in order to finish it up by the end of the year. I need to say that I absolutely love the product, it's just starting to get a bit old so that's why I want to finish it.

I've included another blush - the Chanel Joues Contraste in 65 Espiegle. I am a bit nervous about that as it took ages to finish my Mac blush, and that was already showing major pan. My thinking with including this one though, is that it's very sheer so I need to use a fair bit every time. I also love Espiegle, it's one of my favourites, so it won't be a pain to use. I'm only trying to finish it as it's starting to get old.

My only lip product is an old limited edition YSL Rouge Volupte Perle. This is also one that is getting a bit old, and so I want to finish it. There's about a quarter left of this. The formula is really creamy and one that needs to be re-applied frequently so I think I should be able to finish this just fine by the end of the year. I've got two lip products in my 5 By Fall project that I will be focusing on for now, but when that is finished I will start using this daily.


I've chosen to include my Chantecaille Just Skin Tinted Moisturiser as this is getting a bit old as well. This is really expensive so I definitely want to make sure I use this up before it goes bad. I have a bit less than half left, you can see almost exactly by the picture below how much there is left. I love this product so I don't think I'll have any issue finishing this by the end of December.


Finally I have two face powders. I'm first focusing on my Guerlain Wulong Meteorites Pressed. I absolutely love this powder - it's one of my favourites. I'm only trying to finish it as there is so little left. I think I can buy a re-fill of the regular pressed meteorites and put in this compact and if so I definitely will as the packaging is absolutely stunning.

When I finish the Wulong Powder I will move on to my Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Diffused Light. This is my absolute number one favourite powder. I finished this much since December, without trying to finish it at all, in fact trying to save it - so that says a lot! I ordered a new one from Sephora recently and so that's why I want to finish what little I have left and move onto the new one.

So there you have it! I've finished another 11 products, making it a total of 15 products I've finished this year as part of this little project. I've also finished and gotten rid of a lot more makeup which you will have seen in my empties post. I hope I finish the rest by the end of this year, and if not I will do something similar to this next year where I'll probably continue with the products that are still around. Let me know if you are doing anything like this and if you are posting about it on your blog or youtube channel I would love to check it out! 
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. ahhh you know i love posts like this! you're doing so amazing finishing up products, ellie! i'm going to do something like this next year; i already have products picked out :) great post! xoxo, megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he yes I do know! Thank you! I wasn't quite up for a full-on project pan so doing this has been perfect for me as it's a bit more laid back and without too much pressure on finishing stuff too quickly! It's nice cause I don't have to use something absolutely everyday, just try to use it at least once a week.. :) I'll be looking forward to watching your videos then for sure!! :) xx

      Delete
  2. Woooow!!! I must say this is one of THE most impressive use-it-up makeup posts I've seen in a long time! Seriously congratulations on emptying all these products :-) The Meteorites Voyage refill does indeed fit into the Wulong compact - that's what I ended up doing because the compact is stunning and I didn't want to let it go. Voyage is nice, but honestly there was just something about the Wulong powder itself - probably its particular mix of colors that made it really special and flattering on my skin. I'd get comments all the time when I wore it! Luckily I was able to buy the Wulong (not the compact just the powder) from someone who didn't want it and had never used it - trying to save from using it for a bit because I really want to savor it LOL! Ok, that was a tangent...

    I used to wear Stila kitten all the time along with a couple of other Stila shadows, but finally stopped because I found after they got to a certain point of usage they would simply shatter and make a mess and more importantly I felt like it was such a waste. Too bad though because I liked them a lot otherwise!

    I'm always impressed with your Empties posts, but this one takes the cake as it's always so much harder to use makeup! Can't wait to see your next update!!! :-) Yay!! xo Gummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he thank you!! Yeah I'm amazed I've managed to finish so much as well! I kind of forgot, but it was pretty cool seeing it all in one place! I'm bummed about finishing the Wulong - but very happy to hear I can buy a refill for the compact! I was struggling a bit with the idea of actually throwing it out once it's finished as it's so beautiful.. Now I have an excuse to keep it lol! I'm crossing my fingers Guerlain release another beautiful pressed meteorites for the holidays this year as I agree, the regular one isn't as impressive..

      Yeah I've seen sooo many people on blogs and youtube with a Stila Kitten shattered just like this one! I've not got too much left, plus it goes quicker when it's destroyed as some always falls out lol so I figured I might as well finish the thing. Don't think I'll buy it again either, even though it's a stunning colour.. :/

      He he yeah my empties posts are always huge, I swear I don't slather on too much stuff ha ha! But yeah, finishing makeup is always the best :D xx

      Delete
  3. The amount of stuff you manage to finish is really impressive and inspirational at the same time:) This post reminded me that I should do an update of my project - I also picked out several items; however I'm nowhere near efficient in using them up as you are.

    I feel your pain when it comes to finishing a blush - it took me years to finish my Dior and the last couple of months were the worst. I secretly hoped that it will fall or break so that I can just be done with it. Good luck with Chanel blush :) - these baked products are notoriously hard to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply - I've been away on holiday! Ha ha I have to admit I was secretly hoping the same thing in the end for the blush!! I was definitely not sure about doing another one, but the one I've chosen is super light and goes with everything so hopefully I won't feel as restricted as with Peachykeen! Thank you for the good luck - I will probably need it! :) Let me know if and when you do an update of your project as I would love to read it! :) xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig