9.20.2014

Finish 5 By Fall Finale!



This whole thing has been a bit of a fail for me. First of all I didn't choose products all that wisely - as in I didn't really finish anything. Then I managed to accidentally delete the pictures I had taken for my monthly update. By the time I realised it was already about a week into september and I thought I might as well wait until the end. Then I did make a lot of progress in the time after and realised I should've still taken the pictures, but at that point it was really too late. Oh well, I'll take you through the progress I've made and there's a bit of reflection at the end.




First of all, let me link to the original post - here - so that you can compare my progress here with how I started. First out is my Revlon Lip Butter in 090 Sweet Tart. While I didn't finish it, I came pretty darned close! I'm almost tempted to throw this out as there's only a tiny bit left, and I'm so sick of it I know I won't wear it for a while. Still, I'm so close to finishing the thing I'm tempted to go all the way to the finish line!

It's hard to show progress for the Chanel Glossimer in 169 Jalousie, but I made a nice amount of progress with this one as well. When I started this project I had a little more than half left, and now I'll say I'm down to the last quarter. I think I'm going to keep this until the end of the year, but at that point I'll throw it out regardless of if there's still some left as it's starting to get a bit old.


This is where my choices get a bit not-the-best. I knew my Nars Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturiser in Light 02 Alaska was getting a bit old, but the texture and smell of it had not changed one bit since I bought it, so I figured it was fine. This was also why I wanted to focus on it for this project. The thing is, after choosing it for the project it started causing my skin to break out. I couldn't believe it had to expire just when I'd chosen it for a use-it-up challenge, but it did. I realised it's probably because we've had a really warm summer and this has admittedly been un-strategically placed in front of my window. So in the bin it went. It was close to empty though, I had to bend it every which way to get product out, so I could have almost declared it finished anyway.

Now for the Estee Lauder Double Wear Concealer in 02 Light Medium. This is perfect for when I am a little bit tan. The problem was my tan disappeared and with school starting and keeping me surprisingly busy from day one I'll admit I just couldn't be bothered with self-tanning. I got back on the self-tanning the last two weeks, and used this every day. There's only about 1/5 left so I'll keep at it until it's gone!












Finally I've got my Chanel Soleil Tan De Chanel. I quickly realised this wasn't the best choice either. If you've got this yourself you'll know that from the sides it doesn't look like there's any depth to this at all. When making a hole through to the bottom however, I realised there's actually quite a bit of product in this. I knew then there was no way I'd finish this without slapping it on like Mimi in The Drew Carey Show. I've still used it pretty much every day, and have fallen back in love with the product. I'm going to make this part of my "Projects I Want To Use Up in 2014" to try and finish it by the end of the year. This works perfectly, but it is also getting a bit old so I'll throw it out by the end of the year as well, regardless of there being product left.

**

In the end I at least made a good dent in a few products, and that's good either way you look at it. I've concluded after doing this project that project panning isn't really for me. This because it makes me absolutely miserable and wearing makeup that makes you annoyed and uncomfortable on days when you really don't feel like wearing, say, bright pink lipstick, is far from the point of having a big makeup collection. It would be different if this was two years ago when I was just starting to realise downsizing might be a good idea. I have since then gotten rid of a lot of stuff, and gotten better and better at letting stuff "go" when I don't use it, like it or it's gotten old. While I still have a lot of makeup, I'm down to stuff I really love, or at the very least like.

I've focused on using stuff up for a while, and have finished a lot of makeup. There's still a few things I'd like to finish by the end of the year, but for next year I'm not going to have items I'm "trying to use up". This because I can't chill when I have a goal. Even though I technically give myself a whole year to finish the items I choose I will use them everyday. I don't have a problem sticking to challenges, I have a problem letting myself use anything else. This is not what I want to do next year. Like I said, most of my makeup I have now are items I love or at the very least like. Next year I instead want to do weekly makeup baskets where I focus on switching makeup out and so enjoying every item in my collection. Sometimes I might still use a blush three weeks running, or I won't, but at least I'll just use it because I want to and then switch onto something else when the mood strikes me. In the end I'd rather make a small dent in everything than finish a couple of items and hating them by the end of it. I want to have fun with makeup again, and I feel like I haven't in a while. Focusing on downsizing and realising you've got a bit much is great, and the whole process has been very eye-opening. At this point I feel I've learned the lessons I needed to learn, and I just want to get back to wearing whatever lipstick I feel like, after all - why else have so many?

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. great progress! i am still at the point where I just have so much makeup that finishing anything up completely is so exciting for me, but if you're already down to a smaller collection, i definitely understand your logic and as long as you're always using makeup, you'll always be making a dent in the items you do have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Hey! Sorry for replying late, I've been on a little holiday!)
      Well, there's small and there's smaller than before.. lol!! Great point about making a dent in everything still, that's the logic I'm using too! I also realised I tend to try and finish makeup I don't like to "keep" only makeup I do like, but actually I should just use the makeup I love and then eventually get rid of/give away the makeup I don't enjoy when I feel "ready".. I still find it extremely exciting when I finish something though - I finished a powder about a week ago, and even though I loved it and it was limited edition, it felt quite incredible.. Consumerism is weird lol!! :) xx

      Delete
  2. Even if you didn't finish anything, I still think this is most impressive!! Agree it's a perpetual problem to get really sick of wearing the same lip or whatever over and over again, especially if you feel kinda stuck using it. It's so nice to have choices, then again it's so nice to be almost done with something LOL! The perpetual wheel of beauty! I so know what you mean about that Chanel bronzer. I ended up giving it to a friend ha ha :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Sorry for replying late, I've been on holiday! :)
      Thank you!! :) Yeah it's hard to choose.. I LOVE finishing makeup, it feels pretty amazing. But the whole using makeup to finish it makes me think of this great quote by Tom Ford I'm sure you've heard many times before; ""Never, ever, ever wear anything you are uncomfortable in. Because that is what you'll project: 'I look like a fool.' " and that is how I feel when I feel like wearing almost no makeup and I "have to" because I'm supposed to finish a bright lipstick, or a certain type of eyeshadow.. Then again, it's just makeup why am I getting so darned philosophical lol!! xx

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig